Diversity and inclusion are at the heart of who we are and what we do. We recognise that there are both seen and unseen differences in us all, and we value these differences so that each person is treated and valued as a unique individual. We strive to remove all barriers to participation. We welcome everyone without prejudice.
This document outlines the principles that guide our approach to working with our community and enabling an open culture.
At present, there are no laws locally to enforce this policy. At St James, we have a 0 tolerance to discrimination of any sort and as such, go beyond Guernsey Legislation to ensure the well-being of all of our community.
1. All of our community are of equal value.
- Whether or not they have a seen or unseen disability
- Whatever their ethnicity, culture, national origin or national status
- Whatever their birth gender and current gender identity
- Whatever their religious and non-religious affiliation or faith background
- Whatever their sexual orientation
- Whatever their marital status
- Whether they are currently pregnant or have recently given birth
- Whatever their age
2. We recognise and celebrate diversity.
We recognise that understanding diversity and appropriating a well developed action plan is a stronger path than treating everyone equally. We recognise that our policies, procedures and activities must not discriminate but must take
account of diversity and the kinds of barriers that may disadvantage our community in relation to their protected characteristics:
- Disability – we note that reasonable adjustments may need to be made
- Gender – we recognise that gender can be non-binary and that people may not wish to identify as the gender they were assigned at birth. We recognise that each member of our community will have their own individual needs.
- Religion and belief – we note that reasonable requests in relation to religious observance and practice may need to be made and complied with
- Ethnicity and race – we understand that we all have different experiences as a result of our ethnic and racial backgrounds
- Age – we value the diversity in age of community and our audiences
- Sexual orientation – we respect that individuals have the right to determine their own sexual identity and that they should not experience disadvantage or discrimination as a result of their preference
- Marital status – we recognise that our community may make their own personal choices in respect of personal relationships and that they should not experience disadvantage or discrimination as a result of the relationships they have
- Pregnancy and maternity – we believe that our community should not experience any unfair disadvantage as a result of pregnancy or having recently given birth. We parallel this belief for non-maternal partners.
3. We foster positive attitudes and relationships, and a shared sense of cohesion and belonging
We intend that our policies, procedures and activities should promote:
- Positive attitudes and interaction between everyone in our community
- An absence of harassment, victimisation and discrimination in relation to any protected characteristics
4. We aim to remove inequalities and barriers that already exist
We intend that our policies, procedures and activities avoid or eradicate any possible negative impacts and we aim to remove inequalities that exist between members of our diverse community.
Addressing prejudice and prejudice-related discrimination
St James is opposed to all forms of prejudice including, but not limited to
prejudice related to protected characteristics. We will ensure that discrimination of any kind to any member of our community is recorded and dealt with appropriately.
- Ensure a welcoming and discrimination free culture in all activities
- In a first instance, cast rep to discuss any form of discrimination with those involved and politely remind members that we have 0 tolerance to discrimination
- Should the discrimination continue, the Leadership Team must be made aware of the situation and will take appropriate measures to ensure that the discrimination cannot continue.
- We welcome all members and anyone who has discriminated in the past will be welcomed back on the condition that they adhere to this policy. Should a further discriminatory event take place, the member concerned may be asked to leave St James and its activities.
Roles and responsibilities
The Leadership Team is responsible for ensuring that the whole community complies with our diversity and inclusion policy and that arrangements are in place to deal with any concerns or unlawful action that arises.
The company director is responsible for implementation of this policy, ensuring that all leadership team, creative teams and members are aware of their responsibilities and given appropriate training and support and for taking appropriate action in any cases of any discrimination, harassment or victimisation.
- All directors are expected to work in accordance with the principles outlined in this policy to:
- Promote an inclusive and collaborative ethos
- Remove any barriers to the community prior to activities commencing
- Deal with any prejudice-related incidents that may occur
- Support people that may require assistance
You must read our Privacy Terms which sets out the way in which your personal data is handled.
Limitation of Liability
SUBJECT TO THE FOREGOING AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAWS, NEITHER ST JAMES NOR ANY OF ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVES WILL BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES (WHETHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT AND WHETHER CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE MATERIALS IN AND/OR FACILITIES OR SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH THE SITE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS OR DAMAGES, LOSS OF DATA, INCOME, PROFIT OR OPPORTUNITY, LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY AND CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES (EVEN IF ST JAMES HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGES, OR SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGES WERE REASONABLY FORESEEABLE). IN PARTICULAR, WE HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH: YOUR INABILITY TO USE OUR SITE OR ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DELETION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER VIRUS OR COMMUNICATION LINE FAILURE IN RELATION TO OUR SITE, NOR ANY THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO, ALTERATION OF, OR USE OF ANY RECORD, INFORMATION OR CONTENT, INCLUDING YOUR CONTENT.
You agree that we shall not be liable to you for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of our Site or any part of it.
You agree that we have no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any content, information or materials that you communicate to us through our Site, including any Forum or blog (“Your Content”) nor for any errors in Your Content.
We neither endorse nor are responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any opinion, advice or statement on our Site that is not ours, including without limitation any such opinion, advice or statement included in any Forum or blog or on any bulletin board provided on our Site. Under no circumstances will we be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on information obtained through the content on our Site, whether such content was provided by us or any third party. It is your responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information, opinion, advice or other content available through our Site.
Any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of the service is done at your own discretion and risk and that you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material.
IF THIS CLAUSE IS UNENFORCEABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, THEN IN NO EVENT SHALL THE TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU OF ST JAMES OR ANY OF ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AFFILIATES OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVES FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, AND CLAIMS (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE) EXCEED THE AMOUNT PAID BY YOU, IF ANY, FOR ACCESSING THE SITE.
You must comply with these Terms at all times when using our Site and you must take all reasonable precautions to avoid infringing any third party’s rights in the use of our Site, including the communication of Your Content to our Site. You will be liable for any foreseeable and reasonable costs incurred by us in defending any action in respect of a claim resulting from your breach or alleged breach of these Terms, if reasonable precautions were not taken by you. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold ST JAMES and all of its associate companies, its directors, officers, partners, employees, information providers, licensors and licensees and agents harmless from and against all liabilities, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including without limitation legal fees and costs arising out of your use of the Site, Your Content, or your violation, breach or alleged violation or breach of these Terms.
Links from This Site
» The Site contains links to other Internet sites on the World Wide Web, which lead you out of our Site. We provide such links for your convenience and information only. We cannot ensure that you will be satisfied with any products or services that you purchase from a third-party site that links to or from any ST JAMES website or for any third-party content on our sites.
You acknowledge and agree that ST JAMES:
» is not responsible for the availability of any external websites or resources linked to our Site;
» is not responsible for the content on any other websites or pages linked from our Site;
» does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any merchandise, content, advertising, or other material on or available from such websites or resources;
» makes no representation or warranty as to the accuracy, legality, reliability or validity of any content on any other such site; and
» makes no representation or warranty that such sites will safeguard the security of your information (including, without limitation, credit card and other personal information) or be free of viruses or other harmful elements. You acknowledge and agree that we shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with your use of or reliance on any content or services available on or through any third party site or resource. You hereby irrevocably waive any claim against us with respect to such sites and third-party content. We strongly encourage you to make whatever investigation you feel necessary or appropriate before proceeding with any online or offline transaction with any of these third parties.
Amending these Terms
We may update these Terms to accord with our standard contractual provisions at any time. We will post our most recent version of these Terms on our Site. We may also add to, change or remove any part of these Terms.